Who is more ready for winter break, us or the students? Their crazy and extra hyper behavior might tell us that they need a break. In reality, students might be more anxious about break. For many, school is a normal routine and the change makes them a little wacky. They will miss their friends and will be ready to return sooner than expected. Home may not be the best environment for some and so break means leaving a safe place. I know some of my students have fabulous vacations plans, but they all eventually complain about being home with their families. No matter where students go, we know that they love and hate break.
I know I’m ready for break. With one more week to go for me, (sorry to those who have to return to teaching the following week), I am happily looking forward to a few things that do not involve planning, teaching, or kids.
1) I’m looking forward to some rest. I don’t know about you, but sleep has been hard to come by these days. I sleep, but rest doesn’t seem to happen.
2) TV time. I know it sounds silly, but I look forward to some mindless TV shows. My brain needs a break, maybe not the whole time, but it needs to relax.
3) Family. I live about 3 miles from my mom and siblings, and do not see them often because of teaching and going to school graduate school. I am excited to have time to spend with them and excited to be part of my family again.
4) Friends. My friends know that they do not see me unless it’s a Friday or Saturday. So for many, it means that I finally join them for Tuesday dinner or Thursday drinks.
5) Time for myself. Most importantly, I get to spend time on me. I purchased a home about a year ago, and I feel like I have hardly lived in it. Walls are still bare and sounds of the house are still foreign to me. Spending time at home and being at home are so different. Winter break is a great time for me to get reacquainted with my home.
I hope that you have things to look forward to this break. I know that I will spend planning and coming up with ideas for my class, but you certainly will find me doing a lot more than just work. Don’t work too hard and plan for no work. I know that we want to be the best for our students, but we also need to be the best for ourselves.
Take care and rest this break.